When I was first researching what these dogs were and what they did, I had a hard time finding information. It all depended on what search engine I used or how far back I wanted to go in the pages before finding new information. I thought this would be a good place to put links to different news articles or blogs I’ve seen or read that I felt explained it well. This page will continue to be updated as I come across more.
- Senate passes “Service Dogs for Veterans Act” http://www.examiner.com/x-14054-SF-Mental-Health-Examiner~y2009m7d23-Service-Dogs-for-Veterans-Act-introduced-by-Senators-Franken-Isakson
- Dog Chases Nightmares of War Away is a story that CNN.com did in January 2008. It tells a little bit about what the dogs do for two veterans.
- The Chicago Tribune ran a story in September 2009 about the Department of Defense (DoD) financing $300,000 to study the relationship between service dogs and their anxiety ridden handlers.
- DR. SCHWARTZ’S WEBLOG is a blog written by.. well.. a doctor. He is a Licensed Clinical Social Worker as well as a Psychiatrist. This is a wonderful entry explaining a little bit more about what these dogs can do.
- http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/01/06/ptsd.purple.heart/index.html Okay, granted this is not about service dogs, I thought other PTSD veterans (of ALL eras) may be interested in this. I think surely they would be able to “look” at my brain on something and see something not right.. or not normal. It sounds like if the technology catches up, we may some day qualify for a Purple Heart.. but I don’t know if I would ever personally apply. I just don’t feel I suffered enough for one.
- Task List for PTSD Dogs- http://www.iaadp.org/psd_tasks.html
- Clover Park schools: Don’t teach dogs here http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/local/lakewood/story/939695.html
- Pups Put Students at ease– Video about a university who used puppies on campus to help relax the students before exams. Puppies from Active Minds